Farmers Rob and Christina run a small, diversified organic
vegetable and herb farm about 60 miles west of
Montalbano Farms is hiring a harvest manager for the 2013 season. This is a full time year-round position with benefits.
We seek a farmer to manage our harvest. Responsibilities will include:
• harvesting, washing, properly storing, and packing produce to provide our CSA, markets, and wholesale accounts with high quality, fresh vegetables
• accurate and timely recordkeeping
• hiring and overseeing work of volunteers and seasonal employees on the harvest crew
• maintaining harvest equipment and supplies
• maintaining cleanliness of coolers and pack shed
• developing and following our Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) plan
• helping with field duties on the farm as required
• Experience managing personnel/ farm crew
• At least 3 years full-time experience working on a
Community Supported Agriculture farm or vegetable farm in the
• Excellent communication skills, verbally and written
• A keen eye for the importance of detail within the context of “the big picture”
• Enthusiasm for organic agriculture
Throughout the season, there will be opportunities for employees to gain experience in most aspects of organic farming. Montalbano Farms is a member of the Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT) and there are opportunities for educational experiences on other farms.
If you are applying from away, please note that we do not have housing available on the farm. Montalbano Farms is 10 minutes from the towns of Sandwich and Plano and we can help you find housing. Our salary and benefits package is above average for the industry and there is room for growth.We also have worker csa shares available on our farm during the growing season who work 4 hours/week in exchange for a vegetable share.
Interested? Send resume and cover letter with references to Christina at firstname.lastname@example.org.