La Mariposa is a non-profit Spanish school and eco-hotel located in the beautiful hills of Masaya, just an hour south of Managua. The purpose of this project is community development and we work to employ as many local Nicaraguans as possible. Within the last year, we have expanded our employment sector, as well as our volunteer opportunities, by creating multiple organic farms on various patches of land near our small piece of property. What is so unique about volunteering on La Mariposa finca?
- You combine volunteer work with Spanish classes: We offer 20 hours of formal one-on-one Spanish classes in our volunteer package so that volunteers are able to communicate with the Nicaraguans they work with on the finca, enhancing the experience and the understanding of local practices.
- We do not place groups of volunteers, only individuals! This ensures flexibility to meet your learning needs and maximizes the opportunities for you to work alongside and really get to know Nicaraguans. We never use volunteers to replace local workers, but rather we place each individual volunteer alongside an individual paid worker. This has the additional benefit of improving your Spanish!
- Volunteers live in homestays with local families, all well known to La Mariposa. This enhances immersion in the community as well as the opportunity to get to know more locals on a personal level.
- Weekly de-briefing sessions are held within La Mariposa, in English, so you can share the upside of your placement and reflect on learning aspects. Also to help you make sense of some the more demanding and difficult experiences. What we ask of our volunteers
- Above all, an ability to reflect on how things work - or don't work - here in Nicaragua, the second poorest country in the Western hemisphere, and why that might be the case. At times this demands a degree of self-reflection as well as the easier task of observing and judging Nicaraguans!
- Good health is essential and an ability to go with the flow is invaluable
- All placements require that you have your own internationally valid insurance covering illness, accident, theft, etc. and have a liability disclaimer. For more info, please write to Paulette at email@example.com